In 1949, Picasso, a long-time Sennelier customer and a frequent visitor to their store across the street from the Louvre museum, was looking for a medium that could be used freely on a variety of surfaces without fading or cracking. Their collaboration produced the incomparable Sennelier oil pastels… We thought we’d go for these ones! But then we could not resist adding the wonderful Neopastels from Caran d’Ache and their more fun alterego the NeocolorII which are watersoluble. Then recently Derwent came up with its Artbars, a watersoluble wax bar, and we fell for it too! We also stock however some kids brands and some are also watersoluble, as well as the high quality Stockmar wax blocks and crayons.
Want to know more about each product… please scroll down.
- Neopastel These water-resistant artist quality oil pastels are soft and have a high pigment load. They come in 96 colours and their homogeneous texture allows uniform tinting of areas.
- Neocolor I These water-resistant wax pastels are soft and easy to work with. They feature exceptional covering power, excellent lightfastness, and are great for underpainting. Their hardness allows them to be sharpened more easily for detail and edge work. These crayons are soluble in mineral spirits (turps) for wash techniques and can be melted onto paper to give encaustic effects.
- Neocolor II Aquarelle Artists’ Crayons are recognized as the leading watersoluble wax pastel. Again they are top quality (for lightfastness and pigment concentration) but they are also really versatile as you can use them both dry and wet. After drying they have a lovely near encaustic quality to them, a sort of mat sheen I find very pleasing…. most children do tDerwent’s new Artbar is a water-soluble wax bar perfect for creating bold expressive marks and building up texture. The high wax content gives the Artbar a very smooth consistency and its unique triangular shape means you can make many more distinctive marks than you can with a traditional round block.
- Derwent Artbar (available in tins of 12, 24 and 42 bars) Derwent’s new Artbar is a water-soluble wax bar perfect for creating bold expressive marks and building up texture. The high wax content gives the Artbar a very smooth consistency and its unique triangular shape means you can make many more distinctive marks than you can with a traditional round block.range recognises the role of tone within art and the comprehensive spectrum of 72 opaque colours is divided into 4 tonal groups, Brights, Pales, Earths and Darks. For easy colour selection the colours within each tonal group are positioned together in the tins.
- Sennelier We stock these pastels loose in 120 colours or in all sorts of assortments (metallic, landscape, portrait colours, etc). They are also available in a few colours (36) and in a big lovely set in the luscious 38ml sticks.
- Stockmar‘s wax blocks and crayons are well known to demanding teachers and parents. They are made as artist material with the finest pigments and pure beeswax and even laid on thickly they retain a translucency thanks to the wax. Non toxic and environmentally friendly, their range of 24 colours is based on Goethe’s theory of colour.