Are you looking for an art class? Still @ the centre is happy to recommend these local art schools:
For those looking to open their practice to a variety of teachers, we can warmly recommend
– the Byron School of Arts which delivers a three year in-depth training as well as offers shorter classes in a variety of media (click here to go to their website)
– Arts Workshops Australia which brings some of Australia’s best known artists to our region for workshops, or takes you with them to France, the outback etc. (click here to go to their website)
– the Adult Community Education offered by the Byron community college has a variety of teachers in watercolour, acrylics… and a host of crafty activities (click here for more info)
For kids we can recommend… Meet Make Create, who organize not only classes but lots of workshops in the holidays… go to their website for more details
For those looking for a life drawing class, we can warmly recommend
– The Dynamic Drawing classes in Byron and Mullumbimby… these are quite unique (maybe not for everyone) but all thoses that dare seem to really enjoy it! More info on their website: https://www.dynamicdrawing.com.au/
– The Drop-in life drawing in Byron’s industrial estate: https://www.facebook.com/dropinlifedrawing/
– The Life Drawing classes @ the BSA given by teachers Michelle Dawson and Zom Osborne: http://byronschoolofart.com/zom-osborne-michelle-dawson-life-drawing/
– Life Drawing in Mullumbimby with Sam Sosnowski, call 0411 725 500 for more info
For those wanting a specific class we are also sure you will enjoy some of these wonderful teachers who have a private practice:
- Monday 10am – 1pm Painting with Bernadette Curtin (this class takes place in the artist’s studio near Mullumbimby)
Take the opportunity to make a fresh start unfolding your creative expression with an experienced tutor, and in the company of kindred souls. Portraits, pets, flowers, places you have visited, our beautiful local natural environment – the world is your oyster to explore. Mixing colours, finding different ways to apply paint, experimenting with a variety of techniques and compositions are fun ways to expand, build confidence and introduce new ideas. Bernadette will provide the support you need to develop methods and structure for your painting practice whether you are a beginner or a more experienced artist.
Bernadette Curtin has a Masters in Fine Art degree from RMIT. She has held numerous solo shows as well as being a finalist and award winner in major art prizes. She has a depth of experience in teaching and mentoring, holding positions as Dean of Visual Art at Ruyton Girls School, Melbourne, painting tutor at RMIT, and conducting workshops at the NGV Melbourne.
Her paintings respond to landscape, in particular water and it’s life-giving properties. Her current series is inspired by reef systems and their fragile beauty. Go to her website Painting with Presence by clicking here and feel free to get in touch directly with Bernadette on 0439 744 000
Friday Art sessions with Turiya Bruce
Explore your unexpressed desires to make Art! A convivial atmosphere in which you make art pieces that take you into new territory. These sessions are created to support your unique vision of art making. So bring your ideas, old unfinished pieces, a substrate such as canvas or paper to work upon and whatever art supplies you have. I supply some Golden paints and mediums, brushes water containers and morning tea!
9.30-1.30 every 2nd Friday – 0417 641 046 to book your place.
Turiya Bruce: “I began my art practice with works on paper, using monotype and mixed media, then my private practice and I have grown technically and matured exploring many avenues along the way. I have been lucky enough to get many private and public commissions locally, and have had my work selected for exhibition in London, Sydney and locally in Byron Shire. Recently, I have also been selected as one of 10 Australian Artist/Educators to teach with the famed Golden Paints from New York, which reflects my love of pushing the boundaries with art materials and maintaining an integrity of artistic voice. ” http://www.turiyabruce.com
Please feel free to get in touch directly with Turiya on 0417 641 046 or email@example.com
- Dominique Sutton is a wonderful teacher and mentor offering painting classes and other activities in her beautiful studio in the hinterland. For more info on her workshops, classes and art retreats in her Atelier please go to dominiquesutton.com
PS… just a few more words about the other side of our lives, i.e. the arts’ residency in Provence we have just taken over! Its nestled in the middle of olive groves in the heart of Van Gogh’s dramatic and beautiful landscape, near Arles. This little haven offers simple but pleasant lodgings and a studio space for all artists to retreat and mature projects in. It is our dream to build over the years a bridge between France and Australia for artists of all ilk: writers, painters, sculptors…. maybe even musicians and dancers! If you might have an interest (could become yours for a little as two weeks and as long as three months), please proceed to the Ateliers Fourwinds’ website.